Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A rant!

Okay, this is a rant. I am a grown woman. I make grown decisions. And I have a right to do so. I'm about sick of people trying to force their will on me or on other grown people. Recently, a situation came up. Now, this thing had been brewing for a while and I have had my passive moments. However, even in those moments, the pot is simmering and I know that I'm going to have to say something. Usually, when I don't say anything, I just get fed up and go Katie Kaboom. But, I'm trying to stay away from that.

So a certain gentleman likes touching me. He wants to touch my back, brush me as he passes, calls me over, get in my personal space, and makes passes that I ain't trying to catch. I've been a bit uncomfortable for a while, but just passive. I don't care for it, but don't want to hurt his feelings and all that stuff. Okay, that nice stuff is a crock. You can't be "nice" and "uncomfortable." It's called boundaries and you have to set them.

So, at anyrate, I decide to have a little talk. I call him over and say "Can I talk to you?" Dude, can you say DEFENSIVE. I mean dude didn't want me to get it out. He kept cutting me off and telling me that he didn't have a problem with me and he wanted to keep it that way. He doesn't think he said anything to offend me and he's sorry if he did. I'm straight trying to talk and he's raising his voice above mine and cuz he doesn't want to hear what I have to say. That's a hot mess and sista girl ain't going. Now, I'm trying to be discreet. I'm talking softly as to not cause a scene, but some people just can't accept that.

Now once my mind is made up, I'm gonna do what I came to do. So despite the fact that he was trying to prevent me from talking, Alicia had something to say. I don't care how nice and sweet you think I am, don't mistake it for weakness. He was going to let me talk. Now I didn't get loud and I remained a lady, but you can't just shut people up cause you don't want to be corrected.

The fact that he didn't want our interaction to change did not mean it didn't need to change. Him talking over me was basically saying, "I know you are going to tell me I'm doing something wrong, but I don't want to change. So I'm not going to listen to you because ignorance is bliss." Now, ain't that a hot mess. I'm sorry you get your kicks from touching me, but I'm not going to let you continue at my expense. What is really going on? You are not going to force yourself on me. I don't care that you are lonely. I have my moments too, but believe me, times ain't that rough. I realize that you have needs, but you need to find someone to help you with them cuz I ain't the one. You betta call on Jesus cuz Alicia can't help you. [Alicia gets off the soap box and exits stage right.]

No comments: