Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Forgiveness trumps anger, bitterness and resentment...everyday of the week

If you don't learn anything else in this life, learn to forgive. When people do us wrong, our first inclination is to get even. I tell you revenge is sweet to the taste, but sour to your stomach. Forgiveness taste bitter, but is health to your bones. Eat of the sweetness and watch your soul corrode, or drink the bitter cup and rest in peace.

A little over a month ago, a some drama went down. It was a big blowout and I was sick about it...literally. One night I was trying to go to sleep and all I could see what visions of me really trying to hurt someone. Another night, I dreamt of this same person, and the dream literally turned my stomach. Not to mention the fact that I was throwing the biggest coniption before the throne. I cried, yelled, cussed, quit eating, snapped at other people, talked real crazy to God, and cried and yelled and cussed some more.

Now we have all been mad before, and eventually, we calm down and go on. But, this time, God wouldn't just let me throw a temper tantrum, calm down, and move on like before. This time He showed me my heart and insisted that I forgive.

That is something especially when you are convinced that you are the victim, the one wronged, not the perpetrator. So at first I'm trippin because I'm thinking God is dealing with the wrong person. I'm not the liar, the deceiver. You are having this moment thinking..."God aren't you pitying the wrong one." I'm wanting God to tell me how he is going to curse those who curse me, and make my enemy my footstool. I'm waiting for God to judge those who have wrong me. And the only thing God has to say is that my heart isn't pure before Him and I need to forgive. So you know at first, your girl was trippin off of that. I was actually content with being pissed off, but God wasn't feeling it and said forgive.

Usually, we talk about how God will help us eventually forgive and move on. But don't be decieved, it seemed like God wasn't helpin me on this one...He already gave me every thing that pertains to life and godliness. Now God wanted to see if I was going to use what He already gave me. The Word works...the question is...are you gonna work the Word? Forgiveness is a choice. It is not one that God makes for you, but you have to choose it for yourself. Now God will help you deal with the hurts, emotions, and aftermath of being wronged, but forgiveness is your choice.

So finally, I get real with God and I take it back. Back to the first time the person ever lied, back to the first time it hurt. It's time out for the surface stuff. We've got to dig up our bitterness from the root. So I prayed, "Father I choose to forgive _____, for doing ____. It made me feel ____. And Lord please help me deal with these emotions." I could tell the stuff that I'd already forgiven...when I got to it I didn't feel anything, I was just doing the mantra. However, when I got to the stuff I hadn't forgiven, I was boo hoo, snot nose before the throne.

That cup was bitter, but it gave me my life back. I slept good that night. For the first time in a long time, I could let go. It didn't matter if people were punished or pardoned because I was released from the burden. Anger, bitterness, resentment, and unforgiveness are cruel task masters. Sometimes we hold on to them like they are our best friend and they are really doing something for us. The truth is...they only drive us to an early grave.

Funny thing (true story...see my blog post..."drama doesn't change, we do") the exact thing happened again. The thing that took me a week to get over the last time, took about an hour to get over this time. How could it be you ask?...I let go...How'd I do that you wonder?...I forgave. Forgiveness is freedom. "Great peace have they that love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them."

No comments: